Feb 22, 2011

Review: Jane by April Lindner


Title: Jane
Author: April Lindner
Publisher: Poppy
Publication Date: 10.11.2010
Pages: 384
Genre: Romance, Remake
Series: No

Rating: B+

Summary (from Goodreads):
Forced to drop out of an esteemed East Coast college after the sudden death of her parents, Jane Moore takes a nanny job at Thornfield Park, the estate of Nico Rathburn, an iconic rock star on the brink of a huge comeback. Practical and independent, Jane reluctantly becomes entranced by her magnetic and brooding employer, and finds herself in the midst of a forbidden romance. But there's a mystery at Thornfield, and Jane's much-envied relationship with Nico is tested by a torturous secret from his past.

Part irresistible romance and part darkly engrossing mystery, this contemporary retelling of the beloved classic
Jane Eyre promises to enchant a new generation of readers
.

Review:
As a fan of the original Jane Eyre, I was elated to hear about this book. In April Lindner's debut novel, she does quite a good job. Her descriptions are detailed without being overly wordy. I think she truly knew the heart of Jane Eyre and focused to enfuse it into this book.

The title character of Jane was just as I expected, if not at times a bit bland. While I mostly loved this character, at times she just fell flat. Perhaps the most problem I had with the book was the character of Nico Rathburn (aka Mr. Rochester).

Lindner's love for this character became quite apparent, but I feel like she never truly made Rathburn her own. Instead he became a somewhat odd variation of Rochester. Imagine Mr. Rochester in leather pants. Oftentimes I found she would have Rathburn saying things that just seemed ... dated. I could see *Rochester* saying them, but not a rockstar from 2010.

The storyline of JANE is sound and the love Lindner feels for the original is apparent on every single page. The love story between Jane and Nico is sweet and passionate. This book is by no means bad, and I am not disappointed I purchased it. I just think fans of the original Jane Eyre may struggle with some of the characters, but the audience this is geared towards has probably never read Charlotte Bronte's novel and will enjoy JANE immensely.

2 comments:

  1. I had not heard of this book before I read your review, but I will definitely be adding this book to my TBR list! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love forbidden romance *o* It makes the love more sweeter than ever!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!