Oct 23, 2012

Review: The Innocents by Lili Peloquin


Title: The Innocents
Author: Lili Peloquin
Publisher:  Razorbill
Publication Date: 10.16.2012
Pages: 288
Genre: Contemporary
Series: Yes (The Innocents #1)
Source: ARC from publisher

Rating: B+

Summary (from Goodreads):
Nothing ever came between sisters Alice and Charlie.
Friends didn't.
Boys couldn't.
Their family falling apart never would.
Until they got to Serenity Point. 

Review:
If you liked Gossip Girl, then odds are you will love The Innocents. In her debut novel, Lili Peloquin creates a lush, decadent, and utterly devious world where back-stabbing is as commonplace as coffee in the morning and secrets pop up faster than tulips in the spring.

Let me start by saying I enjoyed Alice more than Charlie. Charlie seemed bratty and pretty entitled for the bulk of the novel. I found myself multiple times wanting Alice to slap her. Alice seemed the more sweet and innocent (and, OK, sometimes she was a little too sweet and innocent), but I felt like her character had the most growth.

And the biggest secret. Whoa. While most of the book was fairly predictable, I just didn’t see the one big secret coming.

The novel is this bewitching dichotomy of fluff and dark. In a lot of ways I breezed through it like a normal, light contemporary novel. But there are these shady twists and turns that made me take pause several times. I loved that I could read this easily in one sitting, but it wasn’t the usual contemp where a couple rides off into the proverbial sunset on their mopeds. There’s a delicious angst to this book that just drew me in, and I hope that continues in the next book.

5 comments:

  1. This sounds like something my daughter would love, I will have to recommend it to her thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. This definitely seems like a book I'd like. I'm adding it to my to-reads list on goodreads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks interesting! I am usually not a huge fiction fan, but I might look into this one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! Looks like the start of an interesting new series.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!