May 15, 2013

Review: If I Should Die by Amy Plum


Title: If I Should Die
Author: Amy Plum
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: 5.7.2013
Pages: 405
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Series: Revenants #3
Source: ARC from publisher

Rating: A-

Summary (from Goodreads):
I will not lose another person I love. I will not let history repeat itself.

Vincent waited lifetimes to find me, but in an instant our future together was shattered. He was betrayed by someone we both called a friend, and I lost him. Now our enemy is determined to rule over France’s immortals, and willing to wage a war to get what they want.

It shouldn’t be possible, none of it should be, but this is my reality. I know Vincent is somewhere out there, I know he’s not completely gone, and I will do anything to save him.

After what we’ve already fought to achieve, a life without Vincent is unimaginable. He once swore to avoid dying—to go against his nature and forsake sacrificing himself for others—so that we could be together. How can I not risk everything to bring my love back to me?

Review:
With If I Should Die Amy Plum puts another of my favorite YA series’ to rest. I first fell in love with these amazingly vibrant and brilliant characters Plum created three years ago and I’m still just as in love with them today. After a shocking twist at the end of book 2, I genuinely worried this book would be a failure for me. I’m so happy that it was everything I wanted and more.

Kate and Vincent still make me swoon. They are still one of my favorite YA romances. This was really Kate’s book to shine though, and while the evolution of her character was completely predictable, I still enjoyed the ride nonetheless. Plum has this fantastic way of writing that makes me nod and happily go along with whatever she throws out. This series also has one of the best supporting cast of characters I’ve read in a long time. They pick up the slack when one of the leads gets to be a little too much.

The end felt a bit rushed to me. I got about 3/4 of the way through this and realized Plum was actually going to try and resolve everything in 50 pages or less. While everything was resolved, I wish there would have been a little more elaboration and time spent. Also, I’m a girl who likes to linger with her favorite characters after the battle is won and everyone is reflecting. It’s my version of post-climax cuddling with my characters. My cuddle time was cut short.

At the end of the day this is another fantastic series I am sad to see come to a close in 2013. I fell in love with Kate, Vincent, the Revenant, and Paris. I think if I ever go to Paris one day I’ll always be looking for these characters that Plum brought to life in my head.

Purchase: Amazon | The Book Depository 

2 comments:

  1. I wasn't enraptured with the first in this series so I haven't continued it but I love to hear that there was an HEA (despite the shortened cuddle time. I do like me some cuddle time.).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so nervous to read this Hannah! My heart took a beating at the end of the last book, and while I know everything is likely going to turn out fine by the end of this one, I think it's going to be a bumpy ride. Also, I love Jules. I just felt like I had to get that out there. I need him to have a spinoff:)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!