Aug 12, 2013

Review: Keeping Her by Cora Carmack

Title: Keeping Her          
Author: Cora Carmack
Publisher: William Morrow
Publication Date: 8.13.13
Pages: 100
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary, Novella
Series: Losing It #1.5
Source: eARC from publisher

Rating: B+

Summary (from Goodreads):
Garrick Taylor and Bliss Edwards managed to find their happily-ever-after despite a rather . . . ahem . . . complicated start. By comparison, meeting the parents should be an absolute breeze, right?

But from the moment the pair lands in London, new snags just keep cropping up: a disapproving mother-in-law-to-be, more than one (mostly) minor mishap, and the realization that perhaps they aren't quite as ready for their future as they thought.

As it turns out, the only thing harder than finding love is keeping it.

Review:
I fell in love with Garrick and Bliss back in Losing It, the stunning debut by Cora Carmack that helped launch my awareness of this awesome new New Adult genre. When I had the chance to go back and visit with two of my favorite characters, I jumped at the chance.

Keeping Her is a quick, sweet story that picks up with Garrick and Bliss’ engagement where they are heading overseas (to London) to meet Garrick’s friends and family for the first time. Watching Bliss panic and freak as she is apt to do was adorable, because who wouldn’t be nervous jumping the pond to meet a bunch of people who you were sure would be judging you?

Garrick is wonderfully supportive (as per usual), and I loved watching him interact with Bliss. Their relationship is truly a partnership and you see that working here.

I think my only issue was the literary whiplash I suffered at the end. It almost felt like Carmack put in enough plots and subplots for a full length novel, but then realize it was supposed to be a novella at the last second and everything wrapped up in 3 pages. BAM! and then The End. Maybe it’s just me being a little selfish for wanting to hang out with Bliss and Garrick a little longer (and really, who wouldn’t?), but I wanted more of a resolution, more of an explanation.

Regardless, fans of Carmack’s series will jump at the chance to catch up with these two fan faves a few months down the road, and I think they’ll be happy at this glimpse into the world of Bliss and Garrick. I know I was.

4 comments:

  1. I so love Garrick and Bliss as well Hannah and loved seeing their relationship post-Losing It. I agree there was plenty in this novella that could have seen it extended into a full length novel, but like you, I'm so greedy for these characters I'm not sure any novella could have fully satisfied me. MORE PLEASE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. STOP ADDING BOOKS TO MY LIST, HANNAH!! Even with that supersonic ending, the whole story sounds adorable and hot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, you make me so conflicted. On one end, I'm not a huge novella person and what you said about the end and the plotlines feeling rushed and wanting more resolution kind of scares me. On the flip side, it's Cora Carmack and Bliss and Garrick and what sound like the typical awkward, humorous, and sweet moments that they have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, this was too short but I loved it and I'm glad you enjoyed it too! :D

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!