Mar 1, 2014

Review: The Fallout by S.A. Bodeen

Title: The Fallout
Author: S.A. Bodeen
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Publication Date: 9.24.2013
Pages: 336
Genre: Dystopian
Series: The Compound #2
Source: ARC from publisher

Rating: 4 Stars

Summary (from Goodreads):
In this long-awaited sequel to The Compound, Eli and his family can run but they can't hide.

After barely escaping from the compound where Eli’s dad kept his family for six years, they’re learning to acclimate to “normal” life—whatever that is for them. It seems like the entire world wants to know what happened to this high profile family.

Slowly they begin to make their way back into the world, but Eli can’t escape the creeping feeling that they’re being watched everywhere they go. But by who?

Eli’s anxiety is heightened as unnerving information continually surfaces about Eli’s dad’s company. Not to mention the sketchy new friend his twin brother Eddy has. Nothing seems to be “normal” anymore. New people are entering their lives—but who can Eli and his family trust?

Review:
Have you ever had a twin? Well, after reading this I certainly felt like I did. I'm pretty sure Bodeen might have had a twin in a previous life because the interaction between Eli and Eddy.

I love how Bodeen captured the emotions of Eli so well. He became so apprehensive of everything, so cautious. The way she portrayed him made you want to sit in your own house and never venture out. In contrast with Eddy's outgoing nature because he wasn't in the compound created so much tension you could feel it. Not only their relationship but the entire families demeanor was so strong that you could breathe it in. She did an amazing job throwing the concerns of a mother, antsy-ness of the kids, and sibling rivalry at you that you felt like you were part of their family.

The island.  Wow. The images of the flora, the technology, and the house have to be real, somewhere. I cannot believe that the amount of imagery formed for this island came out of her head. I can only imagine the amount of research I would have to do I achieve this. I wanted to go to this island just to see it, I wanted to smell the flowers there.  The research facilities were out of a sci-fi movie. I cannot get over the detail that she put in to this place, yet at the same time I am terrified of it.

I loved this book. It went so well after The Compound. It was a perfect sequel that really told and made you feel the fear and apprehensiveness of the family after that ordeal. The one thing I was a little disappointed in was the ending. It was a great ending, though, it felt a little rushed. What unfolded in the last few pages could have been played out a little more. Given you that "oh no" feeling for a little longer to really drive home that final scene.
Buy: Amazon

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!