Aug 7, 2014

Review: The Falconer by Elizabeth May

Title: The Falconer
Author: Elizabeth May
Publisher: Chronicle Books
Publication Date: 5.6.2014
Pages: 378
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Series: The Falconer #1
Source: ARC from ALA MW

Rating: 5 Stars

Summary (from Goodreads):
Heiress. Debutant. Murderer. A new generation of heroines has arrived.

Edinburgh, Scotland, 1844

Lady Aileana Kameron, the only daughter of the Marquess of Douglas, was destined for a life carefully planned around Edinburgh’s social events – right up until a faery killed her mother.

Now it’s the 1844 winter season and Aileana slaughters faeries in secret, in between the endless round of parties, tea and balls. Armed with modified percussion pistols and explosives, she sheds her aristocratic facade every night to go hunting. She’s determined to track down the faery who murdered her mother, and to destroy any who prey on humans in the city’s many dark alleyways.

But the balance between high society and her private war is a delicate one, and as the fae infiltrate the ballroom and Aileana’s father returns home, she has decisions to make. How much is she willing to lose – and just how far will Aileana go for revenge?

Review:
I love faeries. Even the dark ones. There aren't any nice and sparkly ones here. Well except one who still loves to talk about yanking someone's innards out. This tale of darker faeries was refreshing. That there is always a bad with the good.

Elizabeth May created a wonderful world. There is your city with its parks and rivers, your high class nobles and the royalty. My favorite thing about this is the steampunk era. I love tinkering with things and to have Lady Aileana be the tinkerer while trying to maintain her lady like appearance was mildly comical. I loved what she did with those things and why she did it. Even if for more than one reason.

After her mother’s murder, which she is blamed for by the whispers of society, changed her life. While trying to seek revenge by night and keeping her etiquette in check during the day, she has my favorite double life. Although, it doesn't quite work the way she had hoped.

I loved this book. And I cannot wait for the second to come out. The ending is so suspenseful that I wish I could just call Elizabeth right now and ask for the second one. This is a exciting, adventurous tale that kept me on the edge of my seat more than once.

2 comments:

  1. This series really has some good potential -- I highly enjoyed this first story! Watching Aileana try to be all hunter-y while maintaining her ladylike status was definitely funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh. This one has been on my radar for a while. I'm happy to hear you loved it!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!