Jun 29, 2016

Top 10 with Kat Howard

Welcome Kat Howard, author of ROSES & ROT - a deliciously creepy book (I mean, that cover, yo!) I can't wait to read! 

10 fictional characters you would invite to a dinner party

  1. Viola from Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night. She’s smart, eloquent, and competent. Plus, one of my cats is named for her.
  2. Minerva McGonagall from the Harry Potter series. She’s probably my favorite teacher in literature, plus she’s a total badass.
3-5. Hermione Granger, Morgan le Fey, and Prunella Gentleman (from Harry Potter, the Arthurian stories, and Zen Cho’s Sorcerer to the Crown.) All three magical ladies – what can I say, I really like magic – all smart, and all people I think it would be great fun to have a drink with.

6. Ludmila, the owner of the Cinderella Bakery from Evelyn Skye’s The Crown’s Game. And I’m hoping that she’ll volunteer to bring dessert.

7. Lila Bard from V.E. Schwab’s Shades of Magic series. Because there is no way the dinner party will be boring if she’s there. It might be bloody, but it won’t be boring.

8. Elizabeth Bennet from Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice. Another of my favorite women in fiction, I think she’d be a great conversationalist.

9. Grace Charles from Persona and Icon by Genevieve Valentine. She has extreme diplomatic skills, and it’s just possible that we might need them before the dinner party is over.


10. Maddy from Sarah McCarry’s About a Girl. Because I feel like there is a lot of her story that I don’t know, and I’m hoping maybe in this crowd she’ll spill it.

ABOUT ROSES & ROT:
Imogen and her sister Marin have escaped their cruel mother to attend a prestigious artists’ retreat, but soon learn that living in a fairy tale requires sacrifices, be it art or love.

What would you sacrifice in the name of success? How much does an artist need to give up to create great art?

Imogen has grown up reading fairy tales about mothers who die and make way for cruel stepmothers. As a child, she used to lie in bed wishing that her life would become one of these tragic fairy tales because she couldn’t imagine how a stepmother could be worse than her mother now. As adults, Imogen and her sister Marin are accepted to an elite post-grad arts program—Imogen as a writer and Marin as a dancer. Soon enough, though, they realize that there’s more to the school than meets the eye. Imogen might be living in the fairy tale she’s dreamed about as a child, but it’s one that will pit her against Marin if she decides to escape her past to find her heart’s desire.



ABOUT KAT HOWARD:
Kat Howard lives in New Hampshire. Her short fiction has been nominated for the World Fantasy Award, anthologized in year's best and best of collections, and performed on NPR. Roses and Rot is her debut novel. You can find her on twitter at @KatWithSword. 

Also, Shane Leonard took her photo, and she's super grateful.

LINKS: Website | Twitter

1 comments:

  1. Is it bad that I haven't read any of these books except Pride and Prejudice *hides in shame*. But I do agree, Elizabeth Bennett would be an excellent conversationalist at any dinner party ;D Roses and Rot sounds like a great book, I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!